We are delighted to announce that Big Issue vendors will be able to return to their pitches from Monday 6th July.
We will be supporting vendors on their return to work after being unable to sell the magazine for 15 weeks.
For their return, The Big Issue has set-out a health and safety plan of action which ensures that vendors are able to sell the magazine safely and customers are able to buy with confidence:
- Your local vendor might be selling in a slightly different location than normal to ensure the safety of the you, the general public and the vendor
- Vendors will be provided with PPE through generous contributions from partners and the public to their COVID-19 Appeal and donations from PPE supplier ViraxCare. All vendors will be given, face masks, visors, latex gloves and anti-bacterial gel
- Vendors have also been provided with new bags to house their magazines safely
- The move to cashless payments has been accelerated by investing in contactless card payment equipment. Moving as many vendors as possible to cashless payments through card readers and an existing partnership with iZettle will help to facilitate social distancing and also ensure vendors are financially included, now and in the future
- The Big Issue is doing everything it can to build stronger businesses for vendors coming out of this crisis. They are supporting vendors back to selling, with 10 free magazines to get them up and running
- We are increasing the cover price of the magazine to £3 to ensure vendors make more money from selling the magazine. Vendors will now buy the magazine for £1.50
- Vendors purchase magazines from frontline staff in offices around the country and will follow strict health & safety procedures in these offices including temperature testing
- Vendors will be supported by frontline staff who will adhere to strict health and safety procedures. Including but not exclusively working to split rotas and teams. They will maintain social distancing and work behind sneeze guards and offices will be fitted with a range of PPE and cleaned twice a day
- Vendors who are in the vulnerable category or become ill with COVID-19 will be supported both financially and emotionally, until a time when it is safe for them to return to selling