Leaving a gift in your will to The Big Issue Foundation is a promise to be there for Big Issue vendors in the future.
Since 1995, The Big Issue Foundation has been there to give a hand up to disadvantaged and vulnerable people across the UK. We aim to never turn away anyone in need of help. With your help, we never will.
By remembering The Big Issue Foundation in your will, your incredible gift, whatever size, will help maintain our work into the future, so we can continue to create opportunities that will end poverty and exclusion for Big Issue vendors.
Ways to Leave a Legacy to Our Charity
Friends and family always come first but giving to The Big Issue Foundation in your will is one way you can leave a legacy that helps future generations. There are a number of types of gifts that you can leave to us in your will, which include:
- A share of your estate. Known as a “residuary legacy”, this is when you leave a portion of what you own to us, after your family and friends have received what you want to give them. It might be as small as 1% or as large as 100%, or anywhere in between. This is the most popular legacy for The Big Issue Foundation, and it remains in line with inflation because it’s proportional to your estate.
- A fixed sum of money. Called a “pecuniary legacy”, this is a cash gift. Inflation can reduce its value over the years, so it’s worth reviewing these gifts occasionally.
- A specific gift. This is a particular named item, for example a piece of jewellery or other property.
- A gift in trust. This is a “reversionary legacy” which is when you leave assets to your loved one for the duration of their life. When they die, your Will could be written so that a legacy could be left to The Big Issue Foundation at that time.
The Big Issue Foundation is a registered charity so giving to us in your will is a cost-effective way to donate because the gift is exempt from inheritance tax.
We are developing a handy booklet that will give you a good understanding of why you should consider leaving a gift to The Big Issue Foundation filled with practical tools and information, once this is ready, we will post this here, so you can download. If you would like to get this posted to you when it's ready, please complete our online form here.
Make a Will Online for Free
The lovely people at Beyond, whose mission is ‘To free people from their worries about after-life arrangements’, are offering all our supporters a free online legally binding will service. If you live in England or Wales and all your assets are held there, you can create a free will on Beyond with a simple, guided, step-by-step process. It takes about 10 minutes in total.
During the will creation process, you will be prompted to consider ‘The Big Issue Foundation’ when it comes to nominating both your legacy and residuary estate.
The great thing is, you can go back and amend your Will at any time, forever, for free.
Beyond, have worked with expert legal advisors to make sure they use the latest in legal precedents in all our wills and all our legal text has been approved by STEP lawyers. Furthermore, Beyond are members of the Institute of Fundraising and abide by the Code of Fundraising Practice.
Make a will online now: https://beyond.life/make-will-online/1049077
Our Promise to You
The Big Issue Foundation will:
- Understand that your family and loved ones come first.
- Not pressure you, leaving a legacy is a big decision. We know it’s a decision you will want to make in your own time.
- Respect your wishes. Your money will always be your money - if you desire your money to be spent in a specific area; we will make sure this is arranged.
- Respect your right to privacy and understand if you don’t want to tell us about your decision, though we’d love to have the opportunity to say thank you.
- Use your gift effectively, wisely and carefully so it creates th most impact possible for Big Issue vendors.
- Understand if you change your mind about leaving us a gift in your will.
- Answer any questions you have and keep you up to date with our work in the way that suits you. We will help you every way possible.
Large or small, whatever gift you are able to give, will be a life changing gift to a Big Issue vendor.
Get the Wording Right
To make sure we can receive the gift you decide on, whatever it may be, we ask that you use our full name, charity number and address:
The Big Issue Foundation, 3rd Floor, 113-115 Fonthill Road, London, N4 3HH
Registered Charity Number 1049077 (England and Wales)
Find a solicitor
The Law Society can help you find a solicitor in your area.
For more information, call 020 7320 5650 or visit the Law Society website.
Letting us Know
We respect your right to privacy and understand if you don’t want to tell us about your decision, though we’d love to have the opportunity to say thank you. If you do want to let us know, you can do so by filling in the Legacy Pledge Notification form.
Your notification will help us know if there is a future source of income so we can plan ahead to put your donation towards a worthwhile project in our work.
Need More Help?
If you have any further questions, feel free to get in touch with our team, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org calling 020 7526 3454.